There are countless reasons we love calling Austin home. The brunch is top-tier, there are endless ways to enjoy the outdoors, and no other city can hold a candle to the best coffee in Austin. It’s true, we’re spoiled with so many locally roasted and owned coffee joints that sometimes (i.e., on a rushed Tuesday in the midst of your morning commute), the options can be overwhelming.
We feel you. It’s for that reason exactly that we’ve done the good work of testing every single spot worth sipping from in Austin to get the tea—er, drip? Whether it’s fair-trade beans you’re after, a quiet spot for a midday work sesh, or somewhere you can happily sip the best latte in town—we have you covered. Because after all, with so many offerings, determining the best coffee in Austin comes down to what you’re looking to get from the experience.
Featured image courtesy of Hank’s.
18 Spots With the Best Coffee in Austin for 2023
If you’re after a new daily spot, want to switch up your weekend routine, or are hoping your pick for the best coffee in Austin made the cut, we’ve got you. (Well, if your go-to isn’t listed below, we hope you’ll forgive us—and make your case!) Still, we hope you’ll enjoy the best coffee shops in Austin below. Clearly, we can’t get our fix.
If you’re familiar with the Aussie café’s Portland outpost, then like us, you’ve been counting down until they opened up in Austin. And yes: it’s worth the hype. The airy interior is perfect for a weekend brunch and we’re obsessed with everything on the menu. (The ricotta hotcake in particular—swoon.) Everything about the experience is easygoing but elevated—and the coffee program is a little luxury in and of itself. Select from 10 nuanced options on the “Deluxe Pourover” menu or sip on one of the smoothest flat whites we’ve ever had.
While Proud Mary caters more to a coffee-and-a-meal occasion, try it once and we guarantee: it’ll be your new go-to for daytime food and bev.
- Go for: The best pourover coffee experience, a gorgeous interior, and the occasional Aussie accent.
- 2043 S Lamar Blvd | (512) 551-2901 | website | instagram
Merit understands: our craving for coffee goes beyond a need for caffeine. With light pouring in from the near-floor-to-ceiling windows and a smattering of well-tended plants amidst the cozy couches and chairs, Merit is the spot to visit if you want to make your coffee ritual a routine. If you’re from Dallas or San Antonio, Merit’s likely been a favorite for years. But ever since opening their three stunningly beautiful Austin locations, the hype has spread. The baristas bill themselves as “coffee obsessed”—and it definitely comes through in their brew.
- Good for: Professional baristas who are more than happy to explain your coffee’s journey from bean to cup.
- 1105 S Lamar Blvd | (512) 906-0010 | website | instagram
If you’re counting down the days until Greta Gerwig’s Barbie releases, be sure to stop by Revival first to get your pink fix—alongside the best-ever horchata. Local female restauranteur, Gabriela Bucio, created an unapologetically vibrant space that will give you as much life as your coffee itself.
- Good for: Instagramming your latte, seasonal drinks, a pastry case like no other.
- 1405 E 7th St | 512-524-0583 | website | instagram
Cosmic feels like the kind of place your old Austin hippie neighbor might open in their backyard. Think rainwater harvesting, on-site composting, chicken coops, and lush vegetable and herb gardens galore. The only thing they take more seriously than sustainability is their coffee.
Houndstooth has five locations across Austin, but the one on North Lamar is the original. Their roasted coffee, Tweed, is a longtime favorite for the Austin community. With a clean, modern atmosphere, this coffee shop aims to be a pattern in your daily routine. And as much attention as they give to their coffee, trust: you won’t be disappointed by the tea.
- Good for: Variety of beverage options, getting work done.
- 4200 N Lamar Blvd STE 120 | (512) 531-9417 | website | instagram
With its eastside spot, a shop inside Littlefield’s (a primo taco pick), and a Phoenix location opening this summer, Fleet is expanding its coffee empire—and we couldn’t be happier. Every detail is considered, from the vibrant blue cup and saucer duos to the smooth brews and creamy lattes. (Psst… Fleet is our go-to when iced coffee season hits!) Stop by for the perfect patio setting—and use the coffee break as an excuse to soak up the Austin summer.
- Good for: Patio/outdoor seating, seasonal drinks, family-friendly.
- 2427 Webberville Rd | (512) 212-7174 | website | instagram
Radio Coffee & Beer
Radio Coffee & Beer is pretty much everything you could ever want in a coffee shop without knowing you were craving it. Case in point: a cool vibe, a fully-booked events calendar, and in true Austin spirit, plenty of tacos and biscuits to enjoy alongside your coffee or beer.
- Good for: Events, outdoor seating, breakfast tacos.
- 4204 Menchaca Rd | (512) 394-7844 | website | instagram
You could honestly spend a whole day exploring the different restaurants and shops in South Congress Hotel, and the on-site coffee spot, Mañana, is the perfect place to recharge during your SoCo adventure.
- Good for: Packed event calendar, not-your-classic-coffee-shop pastries: expect kouign amanns and seasonal macarons.
- 111 Sandra Muraida Way suite #101 | (512) 684-1001 | website | instagram
Whether you’re a remote worker looking for an office away from home or a city politician passing through—Caffé Medici’s six locations are populated with Austinites of all stripes. While each of their shops provides a different feel, their atmospheres are all easygoing and family-friendly. And if you love taking your pup along for your weekend coffee crawls, know they’ll be more than welcome.
- Good for: Family and pet-friendly, getting work done.
- 1023 Springdale Rd Suite 1A | no phone | website | instagram
Civil Goat Coffee
A little further out west in the Cuernavaca neighborhood, this gem is worth the trek. Their specialty coffee is all the rage! Sign up for their customized roast delivery for some of the best beans in Austin. Plus, you’ll get 10% off all of your coffee purchases at the shop.
The dream of East Austin is alive at Flitch. Grab your cuppa or a top-notch espresso out of this renovated vintage trailer and enjoy it in their gravel courtyard filled with mix-and-match furniture, and most likely, some really cute dogs.
- Good for: Outdoor seating, dog-friendly, family-friendly.
- 641 Tillery St | (512) 698-1326 | website | instagram
Located in the Windsor Park neighborhood, this coffee shop is connected to a restaurant with a gorgeous atmosphere inside and out. P.S. There’s a drive-through—but with a patio that pretty, we imagine you’ll want to kick back with your coffee for a bit.
- Good for: Coffee with a side of brunch, aesthetic interior, patio seating.
- 5811 Berkman Dr | (512) 609-8077 | website | instagram
You’ve probably seen every last LA wellness influencer toting around a now-ubiquitous Alfred cup. Well, the hype has spread to Austin and we couldn’t be more excited. (Especially because it’s tucked inside The Line hotel—one of the best hotel lobbies in the city.) Come for an amazing iced coffee with a pump of their “world-famous” vanilla syrup and stay for the chill vibes.
- Good for: An iced coffee you’ll never forget and seasonal drinks that’ll keep you coming back.
- 111 E Cesar Chavez St | (512) 473-1595 | website | instagram
The cutest little white and mint green trailer doubles as one of the best coffee shops in Austin. Desnudo has some of the kindest and most knowledgable baristas around. Coffee with a side of community? We’re always here for it.
- Good for: Educated baristas, coffee beans for at-home brewing.
- 2505 Webberville Rd | no phone | website | instagram
This small shop has made a big impact on the coffee community around Austin. Head east on Cesar Chavez and grab a coffee or buy a bag of beans. You won’t be disappointed.
- Good for: Outdoor seating, well-designed merch, specialty single-origin coffee.
- 1619 E Cesar Chavez St | (512) 540-6040 | website | instagram
While we’re more apt to visit Better Half for brunch than just coffee, a cuppa with your fried chicken biscuit sandwich is always the right move. Bonus: The all-day café has a huge parking lot—which is absolute gold during a busy weekend rush.
- Good for: Dog-friendly, patio seating, easy parking.
- 406 Walsh St | (512) 645-0786 | website | instagram
Mozarts Coffee Roasters
We can’t have a list of the best spots in town without including an Austin classic: Mozarts Coffee Roasters. Sip on the shores of the beautiful Lake Austin year-round, and peruse their extensive selection of baked goods from croissants to cakes.
- Good for: Beautiful views, top-notch baked goods, an Austin institution.
- 3825 Lake Austin Blvd | (512) 477-2900 | website | instagram
Just has quickly staked its claim as one of the best coffee shops in Austin. With four locations and a fifth opening any day, it’s safe to say that Austinites run on Jo’s. Expect concerts and plenty of dogs to love on while you sip away. And if you’re not a coffee drinker but love the café vibe, order the blueberry matcha. You can thank me later.
- Good for: Seasonal drinks, dog-friendly, well-designed merch.
- 1300 S Congress Ave | (512) 444-3800 | website | instagram
This post was originally published on 3/12/2020 and has since been updated.